- Vegetable Curry (serves 4)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons medium-hot curry powder
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into thin sticks
- 4 parsnips, peeled and cut into thin sticks
- 250g green beans, trimmed
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 cup low-fat natural yoghurt salt and pepper
- ½ cup fresh coriander leaves fresh chilli, sliced
Heat a large saucepan, add oil and onion, and cook over a low heat for about 10 minutes until onion is softened. Add curry powder, turn up the heat to medium and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly to toast spices. Add stock and simmer for 5 minutes. Add carrots and parsnips to the pan and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes. Add beans and broccoli, and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
The vegetables should be tender and the liquid reduced by half. Remove the pan from the heat, stir in yoghurt and season with salt and pepper to taste. Once yoghurt has been added, do not allow mixture to boil, or it will curdle. To serve, scatter with coriander and place sliced fresh chilli on the side, if desired. Serve with 2 tablespoons of steamed fragrant wild, basmati or jasmine rice.